Saturday, December 6, 2008
yeah, not so good
Well, we decided to do the art loeb going the way we hadn't gone, from davidson river to the boyscout camp. I took my beagle with me. He's been on some day hikes and has done good but never overnight. There's room for him in my sleeping bag, and thats what I had planned. He sleeps with me every night anyway. Well, around 4pm friday afternoon he took off on a deer trail near butter gap shelter. I called him for hours and he didn't show up until 8am the following morning. He was hypothermic, exhausted, limping and had a swollen eye. I put him in my sleeping bag and gave him some luke-warm water. He threw it up a couple times but eventually recooped. Luckily I was able to hike to the top of cedar rock mtn and make a phone call for a pick up. My fiance drove from charlotte to pick us up and take us to my car at the boyscout camp. It was about our only choice. I wasn't going to push the dog to go another 20 miles with a hurt leg and eye. Oh well. I was still able to test out my gear and I am thoroughly pleased! See ya'll at mt. leconte
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sorry to hear that Travis. I'm glad that your dog is ok though. It is good that you turned back, that trail becomes a real ass-kicker between Butter Gap and the Parkway. Hope to meet you some time soon!
Wow, it's pretty amazing that any domestic animal could make it all night up there exposed. Props to your dog. I bet you were worried all night about going home and telling the Fiance that you lost the dog in the woods! Good thing he came back. See you in a few weeks.
Post a Comment